Here are some instructions and information that will help make your surgical experience a positive one. Please feel free to call your surgeon or one of the nurses in our office if you have any questions.
First of all, make sure that someone from the Department of Surgical Oncology has told you the following:
- The name of your procedure
- The name of the surgeon who will be performing it
- The date and time of your pre-admission evaluation
- The date and time of your surgery, plus:
- What time you should arrive
- How long the surgery is expected to take
- Whether or not you will be able to drive yourself home
If not, you should arrange to have someone drive you
- The date and time of your next office visit for follow-up.
General Instructions and Information
Pre-admission evaluation (PAE). This will allow an anesthesiologist to evaluate you prior to the day of surgery. Please come to the Chestnut Building on the main campus of Baystate Medical Center at 759 Chestnut Street on the day of your PAE appointment. Come to the first floor, first door on the right as you enter the building. Valet parking is available.
Your surgery. Please arrive 1½ hours before the time of your surgery at the Chestnut Building on the main campus of Baystate Medical Center at 759 Chestnut Street on the day of your surgery. Come to the 2nd floor. This is a day stay surgery. Please arrange to have someone drive you home after the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 12 midnight the night prior to your surgery.
- You may take medications with a small sip of water the morning of surgery, unless otherwise instructed.
- Do not take any aspirin or aspirin-containing medications, including Advil® or Alleve® for seven days before surgery. If you take Coumadin, you will reduce pain and swelling after surgery.
- If you are having breast-related surgery, please wear/bring a supportive bra to wear home as this is an important part of your surgical dressing and will reduce pain and swelling after surgery. (Wear it for the first 48 hours continuously.)
- Your Pathology Report should be available within a week of your surgery. The doctor will discuss this at your follow-up office visit.
Please call our office at 413-794-4262 if you have any questions.