If a disease were killing our children in the proportion accidents are, people would be outraged and demand this killer be stopped.
C. Everett Koop, MD, Former U.S. Surgeon General
Safe Kids of Western Massachusetts unites public and private organizations, local businesses, and concerned citizens to reduce needless childhood injuries and deaths. It is a member coalition of Safe Kids Worldwide.
Safe Kids of Western Massachusetts began in 1992. Its focus over the years has been tri-fold:
- Promote public awareness through education and media campaigns
- Develop programs and implement prevention strategies
- Advocate for public policies and regulations that decrease the risk of childhood injuries.
The main areas of concentration for coalition activities are to prevent injuries from:
- motor vehicle crashes and child car seat misuse
- bicycle crashes
- hazards in the home.
Some examples of activities include:
- provision of discount vouchers for child safety seats
- child car seat check up events
- bicycle rodeos
- provision of education materials and prevention tips on a variety of childhood injuries.
Safe Kids of Western Massachusetts meets regularly on the first Monday of the month at 11:00am, and members of the public are welcome to attend.
If you are unable to participate in the meetings, but would still like to be involved in the Safe Kids of Western Massachusetts, there are many opportunities to volunteer at coalition events.