Who we are:
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) is a ten - bed unit located on Daly 4 A. The PICU cares for children under 21 years of age and is staffed by a team of health care workers specially trained to care for children who are or may become critically ill.
Our PICU has the ability to provide state-of-the-art monitoring and therapy with physicians in attendance 24 hours a day. Each patient is monitored at the bedside and at a central station.
- The care of all admissions is supervised by a Pediatric Intensivist.
- The entire gamut of pediatric, medical and surgical specialists are always available for consultation whenever a child is admitted to the PICU.
- Steve Lieberman, M.D., Chief
- Michael Canarie, M.D.
- Christine McKiernan, M.D.
- Leslie Murphy, R.N., Nurse Manager
Meet the team...
What to Expect:
The PICU staff cares for children during the most critical part of their illness. Your nurse will assist you with the transfer to the Infants and Children's or Adolescent and Young Adult Unit once your child's condition stabilizes and no longer requires intensive care. The children may also be transitioned to the Pediatric Intermediate Care Area as less intense level of care.
- While in the PICU, your child's room or the space around your child's bed is your child's "home away from home".
- Please feel free to decorate it with your child's belongings.
- Small stuffed animals, mobiles, and pictures are encouraged and often bring comfort to children while they are in a strange place.
- No fresh flowers or balloons are allowed due to infection control and safety standards.
- Parents and grandparents are encouraged to visit at any time while your child is in the PICU.
- When arriving to visit your child, please use the main PICU entrance and use the wall phone located directly outside the main PICU door to let us know your are here.
- We ask that two people visit at a time. Please speak with your nurse concerning any other visitors that may be important for your child to see. When possible, special arrangements can be made.
- Visitors may be asked to step out briefly during rounds, or if an emergency or sudden change in a patient's condition occurs.
- The PICU Family Waiting Room is located outside the main door of the PICU and is available 24 hours a day for your use.
- Since food and beverages cannot be brought into the PICU, you can leave them in the Family Waiting Room.