It's a fact of life. Some couples start their family with very little effort. For others, it is not so easy. Baystate Reproductive Medicine offers the most up-to-date options for helping couples conceive. A short time ago, these same couples would have had no hope of having a biologically related child.
Our services include:
- Preliminary testing that helps establish
- Why a couple is finding it difficult to conceive a child
- What options may be available to them with help from reproductive medicine.
- Assisted reproduction processes, including:
- Ovulation Induction - A woman's ovaries are stimulated with fertility medications in pill form or by injection. This causes her ovaries to produce multiple eggs that our specialists closely monitor through blood tests or ultrasound. When the follicles reach maturity, injection of a hormone called hCG then induces ovulation.
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - IVF begins with Ovulation Induction, but the eggs are removed surgically and then combined with the partner's or donor's sperm in the laboratory to form embryos. Three to five days later, the newly formed embryos are transferred into the women's uterus.
- Donor Eggs - Women whose ovaries cannot produce healthy eggs may choose to use donor eggs to achieve pregnancy. Eggs are removed from the donor's ovaries and inseminated with sperm from the recipient couple or sperm donor. The resulting embryos are transferred to the uterus of the recipient woman. Pregnancy rates with this technology are very high.
- Reproductive Surgery - Our reproductive endocrinologists are accomplished in procedures such as:
- Pelvic microsurgery
They routinely perform:
- Tubal reversals
- Treatment for endometriosis
- Pelvic adhesions
- Uterine fibroids
- Endometrial polyps
- Congenital abnormalities of the uterus and tubes.
Our surgeons employ endoscopic, minimally invasive and robotic approaches whenever possible to decrease patient recovery time, discomfort, scarring, the risk of infection, and need for blood transfusion.
Baystate Reproductive Medicine offers all diagnostic and treatment services for infertility. Our services range from the initial diagnosis and first level treatments of infertility to today’s most cutting edge advanced reproductive technologies.
We always strive to provide the treatments most likely to result in pregnancy while considering other factors such a cost. Individualized treatments are recommended after thorough testing and extensive consultation with each couple. Many patients will only need first level treatments such as medications to achieve pregnancy. Contrary to what is often portrayed in the media, fertility therapy for the majority of women usually does not involve advanced reproductive technologies.
If medications are not indicated, or don’t result in pregnancy, therapies such as intrauterine insemination usually with FSH stimulation may be the next step. We perform hundreds of IUI procedures each year with good success rates.
If IUI is not successful, the next step may be in vitro fertilization (IVF) where we have excellent success rates (review our data at the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technologies (SART.org) website) In some cases, such as moderate to severe tubal damage, IVF may be the first line treatment choice. We offer all ART treatments associated with IVF including ICSI, blastocyst transfer, and assisted hatching.
Donor egg IVF may be indicated in some cases. Women usually need donor egg because of poor egg quality that can be a result of age, ovarian cancer, congenital defects, or other conditions. Our donor egg program is one of the most successful with over half of women achieving pregnancy.
Another service offered in conjunction with IVF is preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD). PGD is highly effective in screening for many genetic diseases and can prevent the transmission to offspring. It is also extremely effective in choosing the gender of a child.
We offer advanced laparoscopic surgery where indicated. All of our specialists have undergone advanced training in laparoscopic surgery and have extensive clinical experience.
Other services include helping women who experience the disappointment of recurrent miscarriage. Our specialists seek to determine the cause(s) and recommend appropriate treatment(s). Additionally, we offer help to women who are experiencing the menopause.
Please inquire about any services you are interested in that are not listed here.