print this page

Carbon monoxide – the silent winter killer

November 01, 2011

Media Contact: Keith O’Connor, Keith.O’, 413-794-7656


SPRINGFIELD – The surprise Nor’easter and freezing cold weather that blanketed western Massachusetts just in time for Halloween, leaving many without power and living in cold homes for days, serves as a reminder of the risks of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning when trying to keep warm.


“Most of the carbon monoxide poisonings we see happen in the home during the fall and winter months. Now that the winter weather has already arrived, it’s important to take the proper precautions to protect yourself from this silent killer,” said Dr. Ronald Gross, chief, Trauma Services, Baystate Medical Center.


“Our Emergency Department and others around the state have already seen patients coming in with carbon monoxide exposures. In emergency situations like the recent Nor’easter, people often forget they shouldn’t be running gas grills or generators meant  for outdoor use in their homes or garages, where ventilation is poor or non-existent,” he added.


CO is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in the United States and according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), on average some 500 people die of carbon monoxide poisoning each year.


Carbon monoxide, found in combustion fumes, is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. Sources of carbon monoxide in the home include malfunctioning furnaces, water heaters, ovens, stoves, gas-fired dryers, clogged chimneys, corroded flue pipes, and unvented space heaters. Automobiles left running in attached garages also pose a hazard, even if the garage doors are open.


CO from these combustion fumes can build up in places that don’t have a good flow of fresh air, resulting in the poisoning of both humans and animals. Carbon monoxide cuts off oxygen to the brain and heart, risking death and neurological damage. Common symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, nausea and

dizziness, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.


“CO poisoning can sometimes be difficult to diagnose because symptoms often mimic other illnesses. The tragedy of this serious threat is that you can die while sleeping or even before having any symptoms. Even low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning, if not detected soon enough, can result in long-term health problems,” said Dr. Gross.

Infants and children are especially vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning because they have higher metabolic rates and the gas accumulates in their bodies faster than in adults. Unborn babies have an even higher risk of birth defects, neurological disorders and death when the mother is exposed to carbon monoxide.


The Western Mass. Safe Kids Coalition headquartered at Baystate Children’s

Hospital offers the following tips to protect you against CO poisoning:

  • Have all gas, oil or coal burning appliances inspect by a technician every year to ensure they are working correctly and are properly vented.
  • Never use a stove for heating.
  • Do not use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your home, garage or near a window.
  • Never leave a car, SUV, or motorcycle engine running inside a garage, even if the garage door is open.
  • Install a CO alarm outside every sleeping area and on every level of your home.
  • Place CO alarms at least 15 feet away from every fuel-burning appliance to reduce the number of nuisance alarms.
  • Test alarms every month and replace them every 5 years.
  • Make sure alarms can be heard when you test them and practice an escape plan with your entire family.
  • CO can accumulate anywhere, even around your boat. Install a CO alarm on your motorboat.


If your CO alarm goes off, Safe Kids recommends:

  • Getting everyone out of the house as quickly as possible into fresh air. Then call for help from a neighbor’s home or a cell phone outside of your home.
  • If someone is experiencing CO poisoning symptoms, call 911 for medical attention.
  • If no one is experiencing symptoms, call the fire department. They will let you know when it is safe to re-enter your home.


For more information on carbon monoxide, visit or visit


Also, for more information on Baystate Health, visit