Media Contact: Keith.O’Connor@baystatehealth.org, 413-794-7656
“As a registered dietitian and a mom, I think blueberries are one of the most enjoyable fruits during the summer months. Blueberries are the perfect size for a toddler’s tiny fingers to pick up. I love sitting outside with my son and sharing some delicious and refreshing blueberries,” says Michelle Edwards, RD, LDN, clinical dietitian, Baystate Health.
Blueberries not only taste great, but are also called a super fruit because they provide a punch of vitamin C, manganese and dietary fiber. They are packed with antioxidants, anti-aging “plant” chemicals, and have anti-inflammatory benefits.
“Blueberries can be enjoyed during the fall and winter month, too. You can freeze blueberries for use in baked goods or pick up a frozen bag of organic blueberries at your local grocery store,” said Edwards.
You can freeze blueberries for use in baked goods or pick up a frozen bag of organic blueberries at your local grocery store.
You can also freeze the blueberry bran muffins in the recipe offered below….just wrap them tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place in a ziploc bag. They will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Blueberry Bran Muffins
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
• 1/3 cup raw wheat or oat bran
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
• 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup orange juice or water
• 2 large eggs
• 6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Line 12 muffin cups with papers or coat with cooking spray.
3. Combine flours, sugar, flaxseed, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; stir well.
4. Stir together yogurt, oil, eggs and juice in a small bowl.
5. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended.
6. Fold in blueberries just until batter is completely moistened.
7. Divide batter between prepared muffin cups.
8. Bake 18 minutes or until golden brown and pick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack.