Please follow these guidelines the day before your surgery:
- Notify your surgeon before coming for your surgery if anything has changed in your physical condition. For example, let your surgeon know if you now have a cold or a fever.
- If someone from Baystate Orthopedic Surgery Center has not contacted you by mail or telephone at least three days before your surgery, please call us for specific instructions at 413-794-1793. Someone will call you the day before your surgery to review preoperative instructions.
- If you wear contact lenses or glasses, bring a case to store them during your surgery. We will provide you with a container for removable dentures or bridgework, if necessary.
- Do not eat anything after midnight, including hard candy or chewing gum. You may have one 8-ounce glass of water until four hours before the start of your surgery. You may brush your teeth, but do not swallow anything. If you do not follow these instructions, we may have to postpone or cancel your surgery.
- Do not smoke 24 hours before your surgery.
- If you are:
- Diabetic, do not take your oral medication the morning of surgery. Bring your insulin.
- Asthmatic, bring your inhalers.
- Taking chronic pain medication, please continue taking your medication.
- Taking heart or high blood pressure medications, take all except diuretics the morning of your surgery.
Please bring a complete list of all medications your taking, including over-the-counter and herbal supplements.
- If you have any questions, please contact us at 413-794-1793.