- Arrange in advance for a responsible adult to pick you up after surgery, drive you home and remain with you for the first 24 hours after your surgery.
- You may not drive yourself or be left alone.
- We must be able to contact the person driving you home, if necessary.
- Before you leave Baystate Orthopedic Surgery Center, we will give you written instructions for your care at home.
- After returning home, you need to follow your doctor's orders regarding diet, rest, medication and activity.
- Unless directed otherwise, you should start your diet with clear liquids.
- In four to six hours, you may begin to eat solid foods.
- By the next day, you should be back to your normal diet.
- It is not unusual to feel a little sleepy, light headed or dizzy for several hours after your operation.
- Do not sign any important papers or make any significant decisions for at least 24 hours.
- If you have any questions or problems after surgery, contact your doctor.
- One of our staff members will phone you within a few days after your surgery to see how you are and answer any questions you may have.
- For 24 hours after your surgery, do not:
- Drive a car
- Drink alcoholic beverages
- Operate machinery