The New Emergency Department Features:
- An increase from 19,800 square feet to 70,000 square feet.
- Patient care spaces transformed from 48 curtained treatment bays to 94 private rooms.
- A series of “pods” organized according to the severity of patients’ conditions—starting with trauma services and resuscitation care and ending with a new urgent care area for patients with less severe complaints.
- 4 specially designed treatment rooms for trauma patients, adjacent to the expanded, sheltered ambulance bays and helipad (Baystate Medical Center is the region’s only Level 1 Trauma Center).
- The region’s only pediatric Emergency Department, with 18 private treatment rooms and its own waiting area, staffed with experienced, board certified pediatric emergency medicine physicians and specially trained staff.
- A private, quiet, secure environment for patients with behavioral health issues.
- Green building: adheres to principles of The Green Guide for Health Care™ and reflects concern for environment in everything from selection of construction materials to lighting and heating systems Designed by: Steffian Bradley Architects Constructed by: William A. Berry & Son, Inc.
- Number of construction jobs: 450 local tradespeople employed in construction phase