The Ob-Gyn Residency Department at Baystate Medical Center is dedicated to providing education in an academic setting that is friendly, supportive and fun. We have formal education that ranges from traditional didactic to hands-on curriculum to informal journal clubs in faculty homes. We work closely with medical students from Tufts University, and with residents in other specialties. Our goal is to help every resident in ob-gyn to reach his or her personal goals, whether it be through fellowship training, research or general practice.
Residency Director Name: Heather Z. Sankey, MD
Residency Coordinator:Tanya Vancini Dorman e-mail: Tanya.Dorman@bhs.org phone: 413-794-5321
Program and Department Statistics
- Number of residents per class: 6 & 5 | Total number of Residents: 21
- Male/female ratio: 4:16; Married/engaged: 45%, Single: 55%; # with children: 4
- Percent of Grads entering Fellowship training over past 5 years: 35%
- Number of Faculty: 26 plus 24 community physicians
- Sub-Specialists: MFM (4); REI (4); Oncology (2); Urogynecology (2); Adolescent & Pedi Gynecology (1); Family Planning (1).
- Tertiary care referral center: 4200 deliveries per year | Number of LDRP rooms: 38
- Level 1 trauma center: 716 hospital beds
- Level 3 NICU: 57 bassinets
- Residency Programs: 10 | Fellowship Programs: 16
- Hospital of the Future to open March 2012. New E.D. opening Ocotber 1, 2012.
- Latest procedure statistics on aamc.org website.
- Large multidisciplinary simulation lab for advanced laparoscopy and other hands-on skills
- Fully-integrated electronic medical record hospital wide.
Resident Benefits & Facilities
- Salary - PG1: $55,800, PG2: $58,000, PG3: $60,100, PG4: $62,700
- Call room for each resident year; resident library on L&D, large library on campus, access to Tufts on-line library through internet.
- 4weeks Vacation/year, Meal subsidy, Free parking
- Disability/Malpractice/Health/Life Insurance
- Rotation Summary:
PG1: Fundamentals (3), Urgent Care (4), PDC/Genetics (4), PPC (4), L&D/Night Float (8), Gyn (11). Gyn ONC (4), Gyn Consult (4)
- PG2: Gyn Outpatient Procedures (10), Gyn (5), L&D (10), Night Float (10), RE (5), Oncology (10)
PG3: MFM (10), RE (5), L&D (10), Gyn (510, Night Float (10), Elective (5)
PG4: Urogynecology (10), Gynecology (10), Oncology (10), L&D/Admin Chief (10), Night Float (10)
- Weekly didactic schedule (protected time) from 1pm to 5 pm every Wednesday
- Weekly Conferences: Monday noon, Thursday am, Grand Rounds, Thursday noon