Baystate Medical Center is a major teaching, clinical and research facility of Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM). Baystate/TUSM is a national leader in healthcare quality and innovative medical education; our distinguished faculty members are consistently acknowledged among the best educators at Tufts University. The third largest teaching hospital in Massachusetts, Baystate/TUSM maintains an intimate atmosphere in a state-of-the-art tertiary care referral center. Our residents are encouraged to think critically and apply evidence-based medicine in a supportive team-based model of care. Our Geriatrics, Community Medicine, Healthcare Quality/Hospitalist and Research Tracks offer individualized training options. Graduates interested in subspecialty training receive competitive fellowships or pursue careers in academic medicine, hospital medicine and primary care. Our residents succeed in balancing clinical work, award-winning research, family, friends and outside interests. We welcome you to visit us and see what makes our program so special!
Residency Director: Michael Rosenblum, MD email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone: 413-794-4143
Residency Administrator: Linda Baillargeon email: Linda.Baillargeon@baystatehealth.org phone: 413-794-4373
- Residents per class: 22 | Total number of residents: 66
- Male/female ratio: Male 55% : Female 45%
- Grads entered Fellowship training over past 5 years: 53%
- 9 Medicine Subspecialty Fellowship Programs: Cardiology, EP, Interventional Cardiology, Endocrinology, Geriatrics, Hematology/Oncology, and Infectious Disease.
- Number of Faculty: 200
- One of the 21 national residency programs selected by the ACGME/RRC for Internal Medicine to participate in its Educational Innovations Project (EIP), developed to encourage the redesign internal medicine residency education focusing on training the “Internist of the Future.”
- In 2012, Baystate Health opened several new facilities designed to enhance patient care including the Davis Family Heart & Vascular Center, Baystate Medical Center’s Emergency & Trauma Center, the Baystate Breast & Wellness Center, and the Baystate Orthopedic Surgery Center.
- Our flagship 716-bed hospital, BMC (including Baystate Children's Hospital) in Springfield, is Western New England's only:
- Tertiary care referral medical center
- Level 1 Trauma Center
- Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care Units
- SMG Marketing Group - Baystate Health is ranked as a top 100 integrated health care network by the
- Magnet hospital - BMC is designated a for excellence in nursing services by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Leapfrog Group Top Hospital – Baystate Medical Center was named among the Top Hospitals in the nation for quality, safety, and efficiency for the fourth consecutive year.
- Truven® Healthcare Analytics - (Formerly Thomson Reuters®) Top 100 Hospital, Major Teaching Hospital – Baystate Medical Center was recognized for overall quality outcomes and processes, organizational performance, including patient care, operational efficiency, and financial stability. Baystate Medical Center has received this designation five times.
- Truven Healthcare Analytics - Baystate Health was named among the 15 Top Health Systems in the country by based on superior quality and safety outcomes. Truven also named Baystate Medical Center a Top 100 hospital and a Top 50 cardiovascular hospital in the United States.
- Truven® Healthcare Analytics - 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals – Baystate Medical Center was recognized for top performance in cardiovascular outcomes, clinical processes, extended outcomes, and efficiency.
- Hospitals & Health Networks Most Wired – Baystate Health was recognized as a Most Wired Hospital by the American Medical Association for leading the way in automating and integrating clinical, patient safety, and administrative functions to improve the quality of care given to patients.
- Human Rights Group’s Healthcare Equality Index Top performer – For the third consecutive year, Baystate Health was recognized for health care policies and practices related to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people focused on four key policy areas: patient non-discrimination, visitation, cultural competency training and employment non-discrimination. Baystate Health was the only health system in New England to receive a perfect score.
- US News Most Connected Hospitals – Baystate Medical Center was recognized as having earned the designation of “high-performing” in one or more medical specialties and as a leader in electronic medical records, according to HIMSS Analytics.
- US News Best Hospitals – Baystate Medical Center was designated as “high-performing” in 10 medical specialties, including Cardiology & Heart Surgery; Diabetes & Endocrinology; Ear, Nose & Throat; Gastroenterology; Geriatrics; Gynecology; Nephrology; Orthopedics; Pulmonology; and Urology.
- HealthGrades® Top 5% – Baystate Medical Center is ranked among the top 5 percent in the nation for clinical excellence across a broad spectrum of care (2009-2011) by HealthGrades®.
Curriculum Information - Block Rotations
PG1 (Learner): Ambulatory, Wards; ICU, CICU, ER, Geriatrics, Night Float & Elective
PG2 (Manager): Ambulatory, Wards, Tracer, CICU, Night Float & Electives
PG3:(Teacher): Ambulatory, Wards, ICU, Consult, Admit Resident, & Electives
- Daily Morning Report | Daily General Medicine & Subspecialty Noon Conferences
- Academic Half Day (AHD)
- Weekly Intern Intake with Chief Residents
- Weekly Patient Simulation Training
- Resident Retreats; PG-1, PG-2 & PG-3s