The Geriatric Medicine Track will provide residents opportunities that will enhance their knowledge and clinical experience in geriatric medicine. We anticipate that we will enhance sensitivity to the problems of older patients and improve the quality of care our graduating residents provide to the geriatric population while promoting careers in Geriatrics.
- Enhance sensitivity to the problems and improve the quality of care to our older adult population.
- Develop comfort in dealing with level of care and end-of- life decision making.
- Value the contributions of other medical and non-medical team members in the care of the elderly.
- Identify the appropriate health care maintenance and preventive medicine strategies for elderly patients
- Understand the normal changes of aging in major organ systems and in the physical exam.
Highlights of the Geriatric Track
- Residents will have the opportunity to teach
- Inpatient geriatric consultation
- Geriatric Evaluation Clinic
- Memory Disorders Clinic
- Home visits
- Geriatric gynecology evaluation
- Care of nursing home patients
- Geriatric psychiatry evaluation
- Community-based geriatrics
- Wound Evaluation
Geriatric Track Didactics
In addition to the geriatrics curriculum in noon conferences, medical grand rounds, and other settings, the track offers a journal club, an elective, and opportunities for clinical investigation in geriatrics.
Residents participating in the Track will be expected to develop a project; either academic, educational, or community outreach.
Participation in AGS
Track members are encouraged to join the American Geriatrics Society (AGS) and to attend the national meetings. Members will be expected to submit an abstract to an AGS meeting. Travel funds may be available to those residents selected to present an abstract or oral presentation at the meeting.
Contact track director, Maura Brennan, MD, at (413) 794-3147 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have regarding this track.
Director of the Geriatric Medicine Track
email Dr. Brennan