REACH (Residents Educated in Alternative Cultures and Health) was developed in 2003 by a group of Pediatric residents and attending physicians who shared an interest in global health, particularly in medically underserved areas of the world.
Since then REACH has expanded to be the primary global health entity for all the academic departments at Baystate Medical Center.
REACH Grant Recipient Projects 2010-2013
Red Markers: REACH sites with ongoing relationships (locations current residents can volunteer for elective month) Blue Markers: REACH funded projects that were one-time/single elective experiences
- Offers information not readily found in textbooks or online
- Provides an overview of important issues for residents considering medical work in low resource settings
- Meets monthly for 9 months each year featuring public health topics, social and cultural issues related to global health work, education in tropical medicine, and reports from faculty and residents about their global health experiences
- This year our curriculum includes a global health movie night and book club.
REACH includes a team of 8 – 10 faculty members who have a broad range of experiences working throughout the world.
- Currently we are able to facilitate residents working regularly in the following locations for an elective month:
- Monrovia, Liberia
- Indian Himalayas
- Quito, Ecuador
- Fort Defiance, Navajo Nation, Arizona
- Through collaborative relationships we also have had residents recently work in:
- Nepal, and many other countries
- Our global health sites include a variety of options including: outpatient or hospital based work, urban or rural setting, teaching or research. Some sites require the ability to speak a foreign language such as Spanish, but several sites are available for residents who primarily speak English.
- We offer grants through our REACH program which are reviewed twice yearly by our core faculty. We are able to offset much of the cost of going abroad for an elective month with grants typically offered between $250 - $1,000 based on merit and need.
- For more information feel free to contact Jackson Williams, MD