Research has always been an important mission of the Nephrology Division at Baystate Medical Center. Currently there are more than 30 ongoing clinical trials studying different therapies for hyperparathyroidism in chronic dialysis patients, iron repletion therapy in dialysis patients, and new formulations to treat the anemia of renal failure in both predialysis and dialysis patients.
The Nephrology Division Participates in Several National Clinical Trials
We have been a member of the NIH Dialysis Access Consortium since 2003, studying new ways to prevent dialysis fistula or access graft clotting. (Initial papers in NEJM and JAMA)
The NIH CORAL Trial
This study randomizes patients with renal artery stenosis to medical therapy or angioplasty with stent. This is a multicenter trial in the United States and now is closed to entry (approximately 40 centers).
Collaborative Study Group
The collaborative study group sponsors clinical trials to slow progressive chronic kidney disease. The IDNT and IRMA trials are examples of these successful trials. (Initial paper in NEJM)
The NIH CARRESS Trial
Study of stepped diuretics vs. ultra filtration in acute decompensated CHF. (Initial paper in NEJM)
In addition to pharmaceutically-funded research, Drs. Braden and Germain oversee a large research program of investigator-initiated research.
In the last 5 years, the faculty in the Nephrology Division have published over 70 peer-reviewed papers in the following journals:
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of the American Society of Nephrology
- Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology
- American Journal of Kidney Diseases
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- Nephrology Dialysis and Transplant
- Seminars in Dialysis
- Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine
- American Journal of Nephrology
- Journal of Cardiac Failure
- European Journal of Heart Failure
- Pediatric Research
- Journal of Pediatrics
- Journal of Palliative Medicine
- Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Preventive Cardiology
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology
- Journal of Nephrology
- Hospital Practice
- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Pediatric nephrology
In addition, we have published 15 book chapters in various text books, such as the Primer of Kidney Disease, Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology, and the Oxford Textbook of Nephrology and Clinical Decision Making in Nephrology. Dr. Germain has also been the Chief Editor of the textbook, Supportive Care for the Renal Patient.
We are scientific reviewers for over 15 peer-reviewed journals including the JASN, CJASN, Kidney International, American Journal of Kidney Diseases, and many others.