Baystate Health History: Academic Milestones
|Aerial view of Springfield Hospital circa 1940
- Springfield Hospital founded
- Wesson Memorial Hospital founded
- Wesson Maternity Hospital founded
- Springfield Hospital approved by the American Medical Association to train interns
- Springfield Hospital is founding member of the Massachusetts Hospital Association
- Baystate Medical Center formed from merger of Medical Center of Western Massachusetts and Wesson Memorial Hospital, creating the second largest hospital in New England
- First coronary bypass surgery at Baystate Medical Center.
- First percutaneous coronary angioplasty at Baystate Medical Center (among first 100 U.S. hospitals to perform this procedure)
|Baystate Franklin Medical Center
in Greenfield, Massachusetts
- Baystate Medical Center is a founding member of the Alliance of Independent Academic Medical Centers (AIAMC)
|Baystate Mary Lane Hospital in
|The Chestnut Surgery Center
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowship established
- Research Week (now called Academic Week) established to celebrate the contributions of Baystate physicians, residents, advanced practitioners, nurses, and allied health professionals in improving practice and advancing knowledge through clinical and educational research.
|Aerial view of Baystate Medical Center in 2004
- First Dedicated Education Unit opens, in partnership with University of Massachusetts Amherst School of Nursing, to incorporate interdisciplinary experiences into the nursing curriculum.
- Baystate Medical Practices, the faculty practice plan, is formed from merging the Baystate Medical Education and Research Foundation, Baystate Affiliated Practice Organization, and Baystate Vascular Services
- Baystate Medical Center re-recognized as a Magnet hospital for nursing excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Emergency Ultrasonography Fellowship established
|Entrance to the MassMutual Wing in 2012